Thursday, April 16, 2009

Brownie Points


Two and a half weeks ago, my mother arrived here to visit me. I booked a direct shuttle for her directly from the Munich airport to my street in Regensburg.

She was the only passenger pick up for that morning, so when she realized with shock that she had lost her camera on the plane, her incredibly nice driver drove her back after 15 minutes down the highway to go try and locate it. He translated German for her, explaining her situation to the airport staff, and waited with her until they came back with some answer. When they finally got here to Regensburg, he happily offered to carry her heavy luggage up to my room -- which is on the 5th floor of a building with no elevator. This was also not even part of the shuttle service. He was panting by the time he reached the top with us, and still left with a big, friendly smile. (Just think... he didn't ever even give us the German Stare! *swoon* ).

Today, I am still wracked with guilt that I forgot to give him the extra tip which he so deserved. All I paid him was the basic shuttle service fee. I guess it just nags me a little more because I will likely never see him again to tell him thanks for taking good care of my mother all the way here.

No comments: