Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Draaaawwwwl


Over the course of the year so far, I've introduced myself to other American students, of course. Typically, both parties always ask where the other is from at some point.

I must admit that I groan inwardly to myself every time I tell an American the state that I'm from in the southern US, and they immediately react with shock that I don't have any trace of a southern accent. Really, now. And I always thought I was the one who lived under a rock. I suppose I never realized before that it was a phenomenon to be born and raised in "redneck country" and come out speaking newscaster English despite the fact.

To the rest of America's population: YES, it happens. NO, I'm not the only one.

3 comments:

Heather said...

i often tell people i take the stagecoach to school, and have to avoid mainstreet at noon as thats where the gun fights happen. the amount of people who believe this is extraordinary.

also, thanks so much for the break advice, it helped a lot!

Zhela said...

Ahahaha :) . "Sorry I'm late, I missed the stagecoach this morning." Golden. And you're welcome, I hope it was.

S said...

When people meet me, they can't tell at all I'm from the South. If they know me well/long enough to hear me talk on the phone with my grandparents.... they figure it out pretty quickly...