Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Seuchen

("Epidemics")


Today at the library, I picked up an Eyewitness book (I loved these books when I was a kid!) in German about Epidemics (book cover).

I am fascinated by how much I understand without the dictionary. To be practical, it's probably in part because it's such a specific topic, and many of the words are simply used almost universally in the field (i.e. "Backterien"). But even so, there has still been a surprising amount of vocabulary that I've had no need to look up. Read: "environmental pollution," "contains" (as in material in the virus head), "anchored" (as in the small legs that a virus uses), "spreads" (as in, what mosquitoes do with disease), "nucleus," "culture/nutrient medium," "single-cell," "outbreak," etc.

Good news! Progress in German is, verily, taking place somewhere in my skull.

No comments: